US President Donald Trump has signed a revised executive order halting new visas for people from six majority-Muslim countries and suspending refugee admissions for 120 days..
The new order takes effect on March 16, replacing a January 27 order, which stranded travellers at airports around the world and set off a wave of protests before being blocked last month by a federal court.
Trump's new action bans tourist, immigration and most other entries to the United States from six countries for 90 days: Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.
Iraq was on the previous 90-day ban order but is now removed from the list due to enhanced cooperation with the government in Baghdad, the White House said.
The order suspends the US refugee program for 120 days, potentially affecting Australia's refugee deal with the US. An indefinite halt in refugees from Syria is no longer included in the new order.
The executive order cites presidential powers under the Immigration and Nationality Act and says the measures are needed "to protect the nation from terrorist activities by foreign nationals admitted to the United States."
The first order will be revoked as of March 16.
Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly described the order as "prospective ... applying only to foreign nationals outside of the United States who do not have a valid visa."
Copyright 2017 Falanga Сите права се задржани.
Текстот не смее да се печати или емитува, во целина или во делови без договор со Falanga.